Friday, August 22, 2014

Time Well Spent


I cannot believe we have come to the end of our journey with Walden University. For me it is a little surreal. I remember a little over two years ago beginning this journey and thinking I was getting way in over my head, because at that point I had only been in the field of early care and education  for three years and was nearly clueless. I know that I have grown so much both personally and professionally and it is because of Walden Instructors and my colleagues. I am so grateful for everyone who has given me words of encouragement and their willingness to share their knowledge and experiences.

Some of the things I have learned while on this journey are:

Relationships are so important. We must build relationships with colleagues, children, families, other professionals etc. Building a community of practice will help us share our passion and find ways to improve the lives of young children. I was so fortunate to have met someone who I greatly admire (Dr. Pam Schiller) while working on my capstone. Two years ago I know I would not have had the courage to engage in a conversation with her.

I have also learned that my early childhood experiences have shaped who I am today and though I understand that I had no control over my upbringing and I also know that I am not worthless it is very difficult to push those feelings and emotions aside and believe that I am someone who can make a difference. But, I know I can and as I have worked through these courses I have gotten better at controlling my emotions and feeling a sense of worth. I have also developed a very strong passion to teach others about social-emotional development and how it impacts a child for the rest of his or her life. I am a perfect example!

During my time at Walden I have learned the importance of researching the plethora of resources available. Before taking courses with Walden I used only a few resources such as NAEYC and Childcare Exchange, but now I know of so many more and have utilized them time and time again; and I know I will continue to use them as I fully intend to continue learning. My education does not end with the completion of my Master’s Degree. Will I go on to pursue a Doctorate? Probably not, my children are young, I own a business and I am involved in many volunteer projects that I just do not think my sanity could take on a doctorate. But, I fully intend to stay up-to-date on best practices and issues and trends in early childhood.

My goals are first and foremost to continue learning. I know I have so much more to learn.  I would also like to teach at a community college someday, as well as become a trainer for early childhood professionals. I have been in contact with Dr. Ed Dunkelblau with the Institute for Emotional Learning and will be enrolling in his online classes soon to learn more about training others in social emotional learning. I am working toward accreditation at my current center and plan to open another within the next 5-10 years.

Again, I want to thank all my colleagues and instructors because without you I probably would not have made it through this program. I wish each and every one of you great success in everything you do. It is with mixed emotions that I say good-bye; and I hope we can stay in touch and continue to collaborate over the years. My personal e-mail is cdudleytx@yahoo.com. I hope to hear from you and if there is ever anything I can do to help please do not hesitate to contact me.
“The most important period of life is not the age of university studies, but the first one, the period from birth to the age of six.”
- Maria Montessori
 
Early childhood education is an urgent educational, economic and moral imperative. Without it, we face a long-term national economic security crisis.
-J.B. Pritzker
 
How one handles success or failure is determined by their early childhood.

-Harold Ramis
 

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing journey we have been on. I can't believe this is the end. Thank you so much for all of your encouraging words during this time. I wish you well as you continue. God bless.
Amy

Chiquela said...

Crystal, it have been a long journey in this class together on the capstone assignments but we made it through the it. Thank god for all he have done for us in this class. We make it!

Unknown said...

Hi Crystal,
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing that at times you felt like you were in over your head. Me too!!! That makes this accomplishment all the more meaningful. I really connect with what you said about building relationships. Like you, I think the insights I have gained regarding relationships have made me more confident in my role. Regarding your growth over the course of this program, you should feel empowered because you are capable of so much. Completing this program is just one example of being able to accomplish anything you set your mind to. I know you will do great things for the field of early childhood education. Best of luck!

Unknown said...

Hello Crystal,
You have an excellent post which I enjoyed reading. You have spoken about relationships. The relationships we make with others will be with us forever, so it is greatly important that we make these relationships lasting and good. Very often, early childhood professionals focus only on relationships with the children. They also have to include relationships with families, their colleagues, and with the community.
Evidence has shown that close relationships between teachers and children are an important part of creating high-quality care environments and positive child outcomes. Close relationships with meaningful adults, including teachers, can help children learn to regulate their own behavior.
I just want to tell you to keep up the good work in the field of early childhood education.
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Crystal,

I appreciate your kind parting words. It has been such an insightful journey. I believe we have all learned a great deal about ourselves, as well as the many aspects early childhood field. I like that you mentioned the value of the great resources we were provided with throughout this program. We were also challenged to find and explore other great resources available. I definitely feel that this program has prepared me to reach my goals. Good luck to you as you continue on your early childhood journey!