Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Adjournment Stage-Saying Good-Bye


Over the years I have been involved in different groups. Some have ended abruptly do to unresolved conflict or the splitting up of a group due to time constraints. However, there have been groups in which I have been involved that have come together, brainstormed, came up with a plan and implemented the plan. Though few have followed all the way through with the adjournment phase. I think this is a crucial piece that too often gets overlooked.

However, when I began thinking back to a time when a group in which I was involved made it through to the adjournment phase, I found it difficult to remember such a time. But, the more I thought about it (I was definitely over thinking it) I thought of our program. We develop teams often to look at different aspects of the program and utilize the strengths of our staff members on committees. About two years ago we were looking at changing the way we did our summer school age program. So we put together a committee which comprised our school age teachers, the director and myself. We met several times between January and the end of the school year to develop a plan for the summer months. This committee worked very well together, showing respect for each other’s ideas. We left our final meeting in a very upbeat, excited sense of accomplishment. As the summer went on we lost one of our lead teachers to the oil field (they pay much better). This was devastating to us as he was amazing with the kids. But, we chose not to let it get us down. We continued to meet bi-weekly throughout the summer taking notes on what worked well, what needed improvement and what needed to be scratched all together. Once we wrapped up for the summer and the kids headed back to school we met one final time to go over all our notes from the summer.  At the end of the final meeting we felt a sense of accomplishment and agreed we would all be on the committee for the following year. So though our committee came to an end for that particular year, we knew we’d come together again. So we really didn’t have to say “good-bye” to one another, but we did say “good-bye” to that particular committee and group dynamics.

I have also experienced groups where we had to say good-bye and it was more difficult. This would have been on a more personal note such as when I divorced my first husband. I left our marriage and our group of friends behind—as well as his family. This was very difficult as I had established some very good friendships with some of our friends and many of his family members. But, I moved on and formed new friendships. Since then some of our mutual friends have reached out via Facebook and have reestablished communication.

Though I have experienced very few groups who moved through the adjournment phase I would tend to believe that the high performing a group the harder it would be to say good-bye. I would also think that it will be a little bittersweet to say good-bye to our group of Master’s Degree colleagues. We all understand the dedication and work it takes to go through this program. We all have lives outside of school and have to find time every week to get assignments completed on time. I know I find it very difficult some weeks to squeeze everything in. We all share this understanding and I know we each respect the others for the time, effort and dedication it takes to go through this program. Though we will be saying good-bye, I am sure some will stay in contact with one another for support throughout our journeys in the early care and education field.

According to Gina Abudi (2010) adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork to ensure time to celebrate success of the project and capture the best practices for future use (or lessons learned). It is also a time for the team to have the opportunity to say good-bye to one another.

Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crystal,

You did a great job reflecting on how the groups that you have been involved in have experienced the adjourning phase. I agree with you that the adjourning phase is a critical one that often gets overlooked. Adjournment enables group members to reflect on the experience of working together and possibly develop a plan for working on another one in the future. Great post!

Tiffany